Bryant Group is partnering with Western Michigan University (WMU), in seeking an experienced front-line fundraiser and people-first leader to assume the newly created role of Assistant Vice President of Major and Leadership Gifts. This position will lead both major and leadership gift fundraisers, placing accountability and growth of the fundraising team at the highest level in terms of values and focus. The Assistant Vice President will establish measurable goals to increase fundraising results; mentor the development team; and develop strong, positive relationships with the University community, establishing University Advancement as the resource and coordinator for all University fundraising; and carry a small portfolio.
About Western Michigan University:
Founded in 1903, WMU has undergone dramatic growth in size and stature during its nearly 120 years of service. The University offers about 250 academic programs to more than 19,000 students pursuing degrees through the doctoral level. WMU is redefining success as it expands what it means to be smart in an ever-changing world. The University prepares students from around the globe for a life well lived by helping them to pursue, thrive, and prosper so they can provide a meaningful impact on society, as thousands of Broncos have over the University’s long history.
For more information, visit https://wmich.edu/
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads both major and leadership gift fundraisers in planning and implementing long and short-term strategies to secure gifts from individuals through major, planned, and annual gifts.
- Working with the Associate Vice President of Development, establishes measurable goals to increase fundraising results that are both aspirational and in alignment with WMU’s goals.
- Maintains a small portfolio (15 or less) and solicits major and planned gifts.
Mentors, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff; hires staff, conducts performance reviews, handles disciplinary actions, and recommends salary increases.
- Develops strong, positive relationships with the University community to establish University Advancement as the resource and coordinator for all University fundraising.
- In consultation with the Associate Vice President of Development and business and finance staff, establishes and adheres to annual operating budgets and ensures that Development programs are operating in a fiscally prudent and productive way.
- Keeps abreast of current best practices in the Development profession and evaluates new and emerging ideas for potential implementation at WMU.
- Guides the Development Team through prescribed levels of achievement, promoting collaboration amongst the team as a pathway to achieving fundraising goals.
Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited institution required.
- Five years or more of relevant fundraising experience, including direct solicitation experience, preferably in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and other university leaders.
- Willingness to travel on a frequent basis.
- Individuals should demonstrate professionalism, with strong communication skills and be capable of motivating volunteers as well as donors.
- Proven ability to successfully manage a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Knowledge of and comfort with technology, including familiarity with computer-based fundraising support systems.
- Places accountability, honesty, and growth of our fundraising team at the highest level in terms of values and focus.
WMU has retained Bryant Group to assist in this recruitment process. To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your letter of interest and qualifications for the position as outlined in this announcement in confidence to Bryant Group at email@example.com. Priority will be given to candidates whose materials arrive prior to July 15. WMU and WMU Foundation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Bryant Group
Bryant Group is an executive search firm, passionate about changing lives through great leadership. We serve our clients in three core ways. Recruit. Develop. Coach.
Mission: Changing Lives to Positively Impact the World
Niche: Advancing Great Leadership
Vision: To be the most impactful recruitment and leadership education partner for higher education, healthcare, and nonprofits as measured by the longevity of tenure and bottom-line results of our placements and their teams.
Find out more about us at our website: www.bryantgrp.com.